Public transport for many years was by tram, first horse-drawn and then electric. The old rails can still be seen in the arch under what used to be Thomas Bros hardware store, running into the old stables/garage. A second tram depot was on Junction Road behind what is now the Hideaway (the rails now covered by asphalt), and a third came later, in what is now the Pemberton bus garage accessed from Pemberton Gardens.
The area was also the site of the first European cable tramway, which opened on Highgate Hill in 1884, stopped after an accident in 1892 and eventually closed in 1909. For more details see https://squaremilehealthwalks.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/highgate-hill-cable-tramway/ and for an original newspaper article on the tramway see http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3430122
For images held by TfL see
with pictures of the older Archway Tavern building, the tram from Archway to Highgate village, and various station shots including interiors.